Join us as we visit Kuala Lumpur exploring the best 25 things to do in the city in this Kuala Lumpur travel guide. As the capital and largest city in Malaysia it is hard to believe its name deriving from Malay means ‘muddy river confluence’ considering it has grown from a tin mining village to one of the most dynamic cities in Southeast Asia.
Few cities around the world offer up a melting pot of cuisines (including Malay, Chinese and Indian) while featuring some of the world’s cheapest 5-star accommodations. You’ll find plenty of green escapes in the form of parks and botanical gardens but you’ll also be dazzled by the impressive Petronas Towers which are shine at night.
Whether you’re eating street food in Chinatown or Jalan Alor or shopping until you drop at KLCC there is something for everyone in Kuala Lumpur. Now let’s explore the city locals refer to as KL.
Local spellings of Kuala Lumpur:
Malay – Kuala Lumpur
Jawi – کوالا لومڤور
Chinese – 吉隆坡
Tamil – கோலாலம்பூர்
25 Things to do in Kuala Lumpur City Guide:
1) Kuala Lumpur Bird Park (Taman Burung Kuala Lumpur) – 00:38
2) Perdana Botanical Garden (Lake Gardens – Taman Botani Perdana – 湖滨公园 – ஏரி பூங்கா) – 02:03
3) Sri Mahamariamman Temple (ஸ்ரீ மாரியம்மன் கோவில் – Kuil Sri Mariamman – 马里安曼兴都庙) – 02:52
4) GuanDi Temple (共青团路关帝庙) 03:24
5) Central Market for shopping and eating (Pasar Seni Kuala Lumpur – 吉隆坡中央艺术坊 – மத்திய சந்தை) – 03:39
6) Laksa Nyonya (叻沙 – 喇沙) at Precious Old China – 04:19
7) Indian Food in Kuala Lumpur at Restoran Yusoof Dan Zakhir – 05:05
8) Jalan Petaling Street Night and Flea Market in Chinatown (茨厂街 – 茨廠街) – 07:13
9) Petronas Towers (Menara Petronas) – 07:26
10) KLCC Park (Taman KLCC) – 07:37
11) Lake Symphony at KLCC – 07:42
12) Suria KLCC Shopping Mall – 07:46
13) Jalan Alor Night Market for Street Food – 08:06
14) Batu Caves (பத்து மலை) Hindu Shrine – 10:31
15) Merdeka Square (Dataran Merdeka – Independence Square) – 12:00
16) Sultan Abdul Samad Building (باڠونن سلطان عبدالصمد – Bangunan Sultan Abdul Samad ) – 12:00
17) Muzium Muzik (Museum Music) and National History Museum (Muzium Sejarah Nasional) – 12:20
18) Muzium Tekstil Negara (National Textile Museum) – 12:45
19) Kuala Lumpur City Gallery (KL City Gallery) – 12:48
20) Milo and Roti for Breakfast in Kuala Lumpur – 13:30
21) Nasi Lemak – National Dish of Malaysia – 15:30
22) Kuala Lumpur Tower (Menara Kuala Lumpur – 吉隆坡塔 – KL Tower) – 15:40
23) National Museum of Malaysia (Muzium Negara) and Malay Ethnographic Museum (Muzium Etnografi Melayu) and Orang Asli Crafts Museum – 15:49
24) National Mosque of Malaysia (Masjid Negara Malaysia – مسجد نݢارا – 国家清真寺 – தேசிய பள்ளிவாசல்) – 15:59
25) KL Metro, Rapid Transit and LRT – 16:05
GEAR WE USE
Olympus OM-D E-M5 II: http://amzn.to/1OchS7t
Canon G7X: http://amzn.to/1YdjsYX
Olympus 14-150mm II Lens: http://amzn.to/1Y79zeM
Rode Video Mic GO: http://amzn.to/1WDKtVM
Joby Gorilla Pod: http://amzn.to/1PgoY5F
SanDisk 16GB Extreme Pro: http://amzn.to/25KEErs
SOCIAL MEDIA & TRAVEL BLOGS
Our visit Kuala Lumpur travel guide documentary covers some of the top attractions including a food guide (best restaurants and street food), top museums, fascinating temples and the city by day and evening when Kuala Lumpur comes alive at night. We also cover off-the-beaten-path activities you won’t find in a typical Kuala Lumpur tourism brochure, Kuala Lumpur city tour or Kuala Lumpur itinerary.
25 Things to do in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia Travel Guide Video Transcript:
Welcome to Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia! In this travel guide we’re going to take you on a whirlwind tour of a city that we have visited many times before. Our travels are often dictated by food, and KL offers a delicious smattering of Malay, Chinese, and Indian flavours that create some mouthwatering dishes that keep us coming back for more. But because you’re probably coming here for more than just food, in this video we’ll be taking you around some of the city’s main attractions, while also showing you some popular street markets as well as few of our favourite restaurants. Now let us show you 25 things to do in Kuala Lumpur:
So that’s a wrap for our time in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia! We hope you enjoyed following along and that you go a few ideas of things to do, places to visit, and of course, foods to eat while you’re there.
This is part of our Travel in Malaysia video series showcasing Malaysian food, Malaysian culture and Malaysian cuisine.
Music in this video courtesy of Ben Sound: http://www.bensound.com/royalty-free-music and by Kevin MacLeod (incompetech.com)