Acid Reflux: The Natural Remedy
Acid Reflux: The Natural Remedy
Acid Reflux is experienced by many people who struggle with anxiety. In fact, feeling anxious often fuels the physical symptoms of acid reflux. When one is upset, the body produces more adrenaline and stomach acid increases as well. This is irritating to the stomach and can create all the symptoms of reflux and GERD. There are definite symptoms of Acid Reflux and they are easy to identify:
-Common symptoms of acid reflux are:
• Regurgitation: a sour or bitter-tasting acid backing up into your throat when you burp.
Other symptoms of acid reflux disease include:
• Gassy stomach
• Bloated Stomach
• Dysphagia- the sensation of food being stuck in your throat
• Burning in back of throat
• Hoarse, Laryngitis type symptoms
• Wheezing, Cough and Feeling of mucus in throat
Causes of Acid Reflux
• Eating too much at one large meal
• Tight clothing
• Anxiety and Tension
• Rushing through meals
• Spicy foods
• Citrus foods
• Tomato Sauce
• Fried Foods
• High Fat Foods
• Reclining after meals
• Going to bed too soon after after meals
• Eating too late in the evening
Natural Remedies for Acid Reflux
– Exercise Daily
– Low Fat Food Choices
– Lower Sugar content in foods
– Earlier Dinner
– Smaller meals (4-6 smaller meals), spread out over 3-4 hours
– Address and treat anxiety and stress
– Avoid eating 3 hours before bed, avoid drinking 2 hours before bed
– Lose Weight
– Antacids (Tums, Gaviscon, Baking Soda)
– No Tobacco
– No Alcohol
Food Plan for Acid Reflux
Meats, Poultry and Fish:
Lean, Grilled, Steamed, Baked or Broiled Beef, Chicken, Turkey or Fish
Fruits: Melons, Berries, Apples, Peaches, Grapes, Bananas
Vegetables: Every vegetable, other than tomatoes and onions, that is not spicy or fried.
Dairy: Low fat dairy items such as low fat or fat free milk, low fat or fat free sour cream, hard cheeses, ice cream. Fat free is best. Low fat if tolerated.
Beverages: Decaffeinated drinks, Non-Citrus Fruit Juices, Water, Non-Spicy teas,
Breads and Grains: Lower fat breads and Cereals. Oatmeal, Pasta, Cereals, Brown Rice, White Rice, Baked Chips, Whole Grain Breads (ex: rye, oats)
Soups and Stews: Low fat minus tomato or onion base.
Snacks: Low fat, Puddings, Angel Food Cake, Vanilla rather than chocolate, Pretzels, Popcorn, Baked Chips, Graham Crackers, Saltines.
– Citrus. No Lemons, Limes, Grapefruit
– High Fat Foods
– Mint: No mint teas, candies or chewing gum
– Whole Milk or Cream, Full Fat Sour Cream, Full Fat Cottage Cheese, Full Fat Cheeses
– Tomatoes. Tomato Sauces, Tomato Soups, Tomato Paste, Tomato Garnishes, Salsa.
– Cold Cuts
– Fried Foods: Fried Eggs, Fried Meats, Fried Chicken, Fried Fish
– Caffeine: Coffee, Tea, Sodas
– Garlic and Onion
– Pineapple: Fresh, Canned, Frozen.
– Nitrites (found in Bacon, Hot Dogs and Lunch Meats such as Bologna)
– Carbonated Beverages
Remember that it’s important to eat smaller meals, lose weight if necessary, elevate the head portion of your bed.
Do not eat for 3 hours before sleeping
Do not drink for 2 hours before sleeping.
Wear Looser Clothing
Try not to slouch after eating. Sit up straight
Learn anti-anxiety techniques and sleep well
Antacids are helpful but your diet and lifestyle are very important when dealing with Acid Reflux and GERD.